130/100

I've been having high blood pressure since last Thursday. I had to come home early from work last Thursday because I had a splitting headache and my bp was hovering at 140/120. It eventually went down to 130/90, which in my case is still quite high since my regular bp is 100/70. I've been in bed the whole day yesterday and today - trying not to be stressed out. And yet, my bp is still at 130/100 levels. Sigh.

I would have wanted to join my friends on a pilgrimage to Our Lady of Manaoag, but I was afraid the four-hour trip would aggravate my hypertension. Besides, I had a scheduled visit from a reflexologist who claimed to have healed so many with his healing touch. I figured the massage would be relaxing (yeah, I know and he knew that he had to be careful about putting pressure on the nape area).

So let's talk about the reflexology experience first. What can I say, I wish I had the same level of faith as this particular reflexologist. He kept chattering on and on about the wonders of reflexology - about how most diseases can be healed simply by applying pressures on specific points of the body, etc. etc. I was warned by the friend that recommended this particular reflexologist that this guy fancied himself a real healer. I really don't have problems with that, ordinarily. I know most of it is self-fulfilling prophecy. But he showed up in an all-white get up, of the fabric typically used to dress up saints. He also offered to do some feng shui in my house as well as some cleansing session - using smoke and all that, which I promptly but politely declined. So am still trying to process the whole thing and I'm still deciding on whether there is going to be a second session or not.

Anyway. I think it's really the heat that's causing my hypertension problem. The last time this happened was three years ago, also around the same time, the onset of the summer season. It's also aggravated by high levels of stress, mostly from teaching.

Comments

vic said…
been a while since i drop a note, but at 130/100 it is very scary and i would rush to see my doctor. there are quite a few things that can relieve stress, but i would not take anything to chance, got a very sad lessons on those with my elder brothers, one has a fatal heart attack at a very young age of 62 and the eldest is getting smart of avoiding stress after two minor strokes and taking his pills regularly. i once got to 140/95 before my doctor put me on diet, cholesterol lowering medications, 3 combinations of HBP lowering plus 81 mg of daily dose of asa also prescribed and now it is on the 1l0/75 max...steady and I am in my 60s...again pluck is doing fine, got his own house and already in management position, daughter in second year college and the boy is still in elementary...regards and take good care of that BP...
Anonymous said…
try Fresh lemon grass or tanglad...

ann
Anonymous said…
"I had a splitting headache and my bp was hovering at 140/120. It eventually went down to 130/90, which in my case is still quite high since my regular bp is 100/70. I've been in bed the whole day yesterday and today - trying not to be stressed out. And yet, my bp is still at 130/100 levels. Sigh." - Bong Austero

I suggest you make an appointment with Dr. Ludgerio Torres of the Phil. Heart Canter.

Taking preventive measures is far better than spending your hard-earned money inside a hospital room for a cure later on down the road.
Bong C. Austero said…
thanks everyone for the concern. i'm actually seeing a number of doctors already; none has been able to explain the current surges. today the bp was down at 110/70. but am going to undergo some tests...again.

bong
Anonymous said…
Hmm, agreed with everybody else here. You might want to have a trusted doctor look over your blood pressure problem.

That, and I suggest staying away from the reflexologist. I'm doubt he's properly recognized by the professional medical community, and taking treatment from him just might aggravate your condition. Or worse.

Laying off the junk food and softdrinks also goes along way to help. This might be a good time to load up on fruits and veggies, eh?
Bong C. Austero said…
thanks, anton. i appreciate the concern. you are right, i think the reflexologist is not exactly a good gamble at this point. hahaha.

i actually don't drink cola (i have a really bad case of hyperacidity, which means no coffee and softdrinks allowed). Yup, am trying to limit my diet to vegetables and fish...

bong

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell, Victor

Open Letter To Our Leaders

A pathway towards better clarity of the issues on RH Bill